Would you like to make a difference in Lambeth, South London and beyond and work with a brilliant network of creative people? Express interest by 27 June.
Having grown from a tiny local project to a thriving creative network we’re expanding our group of directors to steer the next stage in Makerhood‘s development. Makerhood is a social enterprise and a community of makers and artists in Lambeth and Camberwell. We support local making, creativity and skills by creating connections – between makers, local businesses and local people.
In the five years since our launch we have:
- Grown a Lambeth-wide network of makers, community members and partners who share our mission
- Held over 50 popular events for makers setting up or growing their businesses
- Organised many fun community events such as Making Uncovered attended by 600+ people in 2014
- Created numerous opportunities for local makers, teaming up with fantastic partners e.g. Women of The World market, Love Your Local Markets campaign, Diverse Gift shop, and many others. We also helped Brixton Market Traders Federation to start the Station Road market
- Collaborated with local friends such as the Remakery, Brixton Pound and Crafty Fox Market and global organisations like Etsy to support makers
- Contributed to national level thinking on the future of making by providing input into the Create Connect Sustain project and the RSA’s Power of Small programme.
But perhaps our biggest achievement is fostering a brilliant network of talented, passionate people who offer their knowledge and support to each other whenever they can.
There are many possibilities open to Makerhood, such as running more events, creating deeper links with local communities, or helping other areas set up Makerhoods. The new Board of directors will collectively update our future strategy.
Who can become a Director?
The project has been steered by 3 directors since the start, with the help of our brilliant volunteers. We’re now looking to increase this to 5-7 directors.
We’re keen to hear from people who share our values and have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Marketing, social media, PR and/or communications
- Running a business, developing a product or service
- Fundraising and grant applications
- IT / software / web skills
- Finance, accounting and legal skills and/or corporate governance
- Other skills we haven’t thought of but you feel are very relevant
We’d love you to be positive, friendly, committed to diversity, and happy to take responsibility in running the project with other directors.
These are voluntary posts with a commitment of around 0.5 days per week, with the possibility of extra time in busy periods. On occasion, if budget allows, Makerhood can cover reasonable expenses from its membership fee income. These are agreed with other directors in advance.
We look forward to hearing from you! Any questions, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org